Work With Us - Volunteer Today!
Join us as a volunteer and be a part of our mission to provide specialised dementia day care services for those individuals who may not be able to access other Dementia groups.
Our aim is to enable individuals to continue living in their homes for as long as possible and also prioritise the well-being of their carers. Our affordable service offers five hours of care, including lunch, snacks, drinks, and engaging activities tailored to the individual's preferences.
We rely on the help of caring, dynamic and passionate volunteers from a variety of different backgrounds, to enable us to continue to provide this valuable service to communities across East Anglia.
Volunteer Day Centre Assistant
Volunteering as a Day Centre Assistant for people with Dementia requires a unique set of skills, experiences, and qualities to effectively support and engage with individuals who are experiencing cognitive challenges. Here's a list of key attributes:
1. Empathy and Patience: Understanding the challenges individuals with dementia face and being patient and compassionate towards them is crucial. Empathy allows you to connect with them on a deeper level and provide meaningful support.
2. Communication Skills: Clear and effective communication is essential for building rapport and understanding the needs of individuals with dementia. This includes both verbal and non-verbal communication, as some individuals may have difficulty expressing themselves verbally.
3. Active Listening: Being able to actively listen and understand the concern and emotions of individuals with dementia is important for providing appropriate support and creating a safe and supportive environment.
4. Flexibility and Adaptability: Every individual with dementia is unique, and their needs and preferences may change from day to day. Being flexible and adaptable allows you to respond to these changes and adjust your approach accordingly.
5. Creativity and Resourcefulness: Engaging individuals with dementia in activities that stimulate their cognitive abilities and provide enjoyment requires creativity and resourcefulness. Finding activities that resonate with them and adapting activities to their abilities is key.
6. Problem-Solving Skills: Individuals with dementia may encounter various challenges throughout the day, and being able to problem-solve and find solutions in real-time is important for ensuring their safety and well-being.
7. Understanding of Dementia: Having a basic understanding of dementia, including its symptoms, progression, and common behaviours, allows you to provide more effective support and anticipate the needs of individuals in your care.
8. Respect for Dignity and Independence: Respecting the dignity and independence of individuals with dementia is essential for maintaining their sense of self-worth and autonomy. Encouraging independence whenever possible and involving them in decision-making processes fosters a sense of
9. Teamwork and Collaboration: Working as part of a team with other caregivers, volunteers, and healthcare professionals requires strong teamwork and collaboration skills. Being able to communicate effectively and work together towards common goals enhances the quality of care provided.
10. Self-Care and Resilience: Providing care for individuals with dementia can be emotionally demanding, so it's important to prioritize self-care and maintain resilience. Taking breaks when needed, seeking support from colleagues, and practicing stress-management techniques can help prevent burnout.
By possessing these skills, experiences, and qualities, you'll be well-equipped to make a positive impact as a Volunteer Day Centre Assistant for people with Dementia.
We ensure the safety and enjoyment of our attendees by providing one fully qualified carer for every three individuals, in addition to volunteers and management staff. Our schedules are designed to enhance the mental and physical well-being of our attendees through stimulating activities.
From the moment our attendees enter our day centres, we immerse ourselves in their world and encourage them to express themselves freely. We strive to create an environment where individuals can simply be themselves.
Join us in making a difference in the lives of those in need.